Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Things are returning to normal...

I haven't done a blog on Yagi for a while... might as well. For those who don't know Yagi is my project/gaming computer. For those who don't care, just skip this entry and do something more important.
Over the weekend I upgraded Yagi's Hard Drive (with a little help from Chad). This was a much needed job considering I was using a 6 year old 40 GB drive. The new one is a 250GB SATA drive with a 16MB cache. The load times have improved greatly and the drive also sets Yagi up as a video editing system. This really is the last step before an overhaul (unless I'd like to set up a second drive on a RAID). The next upgrade will have to be a processor, motherboard, RAM, and video card all at once. I'm expecting to be able to do this around June this year. But with all the news of IBM/AMD and Intel's latest advancements I may need to wait a bit longer. Advancement is moving SO FAST!!! It's hard to choose a point to buy at. I pick a processor generation then within a few days a new mouth-watering improvement is announced.
Right now the Core 2 Duo looks best, but a Dual X2 system also seems tempting. However an AMD Quad Core may be worth waiting for. The Intel Quad is cool but it seems a bit pricey and First gen is never all it can be. Just look at my Athlon64 3200.

No comments: